Is Work Your True Calling, or Are You a Workaholic?
There is a fine line between being a workaholic and simply working a job you had a calling for. For starters, most of the people you find that claim to have had a “calling” to their job say that they love their job. Many of them even say that they would continue doing the job even if they were paid much less, or really not at all. These types of people enjoy the work they do and it’s more of a hobby for them than a true job. If you’ve found your calling then enjoy every moment.
The opposing side of this topic is that many people do not have jobs that they consider to love, let alone jobs they would do for free. Workaholics are considered to be those that live, breathe and sleep work. You know, the people that can’t put their mobile device down as they are constantly sending and receiving important e-mails that just can’t wait until after dinner, or in the morning. It’s this type of worker that needs to look out for themselves and be sure that they are happy with their place and job in life.
You probably know if someone you are living with is a workaholic just by observing habits. But we are not always as quick to recognize our own extreme behavior. If you are not sure whether your commitment to work has crossed the line into the extreme, or may even have become an addiction, check out these twenty questions offered by Workaholics Anonymous. (Note: if you answer yes to three or more, you might be a workaholic!)
How Do I Know If I’m A Workaholic?
- Do you get more excited about your work than about family or anything else?
- Are there times when you can charge through your work and other times when you can’t?
- Do you take work with you to bed? On weekends? On vacation?
- Is work the activity you like to do best and talk about most?
- Do you work more than 40 hours a week?
- Do you turn your hobbies into money-making ventures?
- Do you take complete responsibility for the outcome of your work efforts?
- Has your family or friends given up expecting you on time?
- Do you take on extra work because you are concerned that it won’t otherwise get done?
- Do you feel guilty taking a day off work?
- Do you believe that it is okay to work long hours if you love what you are doing?
- Do you get impatient with people who have other priorities besides work?
- Are you afraid that if you don’t work hard you will lose your job or be a failure?
- Is the future a constant worry for you even when things are going very well?
- Do you do things energetically and competitively including play?
- Do you get irritated when people ask you to stop doing your work in order to do something else?
- Have your long hours hurt your family or other relationships?
- Do you think about your work while driving, falling asleep or when others are talking?
- Do you work or read during meals?
- Do you believe that more money will solve the other problems in your life?